Re: Planning new virtual packages for hamm

> > libcom_err and libuuid will always be a problem though, since they're used
> > specifically by fsck, which has to be essential.
>
> Sorry to respond to my own message, but maybe we should consider making fsck
> statically linked and put it in its own separate essential package.

I can see statically linking "fsck" being a good idea but I don't think it
would have to go into its own package.

> If we also had a statically linked ash as /sbin/sh debian systems might be a
> lot better off in the case of a disk crash.

I'd guess that if /bin/sh can't load its shared libraries then neither
would any of the tools a sysadmin might run.  fsck, on the other hand,
might repair a filesystem so other binaries could find their libraries
even though it couldn't when it started.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )