Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
>
> > Just for comparison: we got a new list server here for HuLUG a couple of
> > months ago, and a few of us decided to do some stress-testing on it. There
> > were 120 subscribers on our flame list, and in only 2 hours some 200 mails
> > were sent to it, this means about 24000 deliveries. This would mean
> > 24000*12=288000 if we had kept the pace up for one whole day. And the
> > server (p166, 64M ram, ide hdds) could have dealt with higher mail load.
>
> Okay, lets compare peak rates [see my last email]. You did 24000
> deliveries in two hours which is a rate of only 3msg/sec. You were also

We couldn't write those mails faster ;)

> only delivering to 120 hosts, where your hosts well connected? How many

Well... I guess they were... there are not too many subscribers from
abroad...

> deferrals occured?

I dont know, unfortunatelly I deleted the logfile a long time ago. I
think only several (5 at most) hosts were unreachable. That means about
1000 deferrals in 2 hours, 12000 in one day.

> For this rate your machine hit a peak load of 10 and ran out of FD's.
> master does double this, has a load of perhaps 4 max (ave of 1) and had no
> FD problems - it also handles a very diverse set of target hosts and has
> many deferals.

IIRC master wasnt running with the default file-max, which is 1024. We
incremented file-max on this server, no fd problems have occured since.
About master doing double: you said it was 186000 deliveries in one day.
It is only about 2/sec, mine was 3/sec ;) Anyway I expect your number was
not the peak, while mine was...

> I think you will agree that sendmail simply doesn't compare by my
> criteria. It would take at over 2 mins for a list mail to propogate fully,
> perhaps even more when you factor in deferrals and poor connectivity and
> this was a machine with twice the CPU power.

I agree that sendmail doesnt qualify (it needs much more cpu and ram), but
using it with bulkmailer, at this list traffic, it isnt so much behind.
That's why I'd like to see some exim stats, which is said to be much
faster than sendmail.

Greg

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org