Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Gergely Madarasz wrote:

> Just for comparison: we got a new list server here for HuLUG a couple of
> months ago, and a few of us decided to do some stress-testing on it. There
> were 120 subscribers on our flame list, and in only 2 hours some 200 mails
> were sent to it, this means about 24000 deliveries. This would mean
> 24000*12=288000 if we had kept the pace up for one whole day. And the
> server (p166, 64M ram, ide hdds) could have dealt with higher mail load.

Okay, lets compare peak rates [see my last email]. You did 24000
deliveries in two hours which is a rate of only 3msg/sec. You were also
only delivering to 120 hosts, where your hosts well connected? How many
deferrals occured?

For this rate your machine hit a peak load of 10 and ran out of FD's.
master does double this, has a load of perhaps 4 max (ave of 1) and had no
FD problems - it also handles a very diverse set of target hosts and has
many deferals.

I think you will agree that sendmail simply doesn't compare by my
criteria. It would take at over 2 mins for a list mail to propogate fully,
perhaps even more when you factor in deferrals and poor connectivity and
this was a machine with twice the CPU power.

Jason