Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Just for the record, yesterdays qmail log file for the list server was 50
> megs. A grep reports the machine did 186000 successfull deliveries (both
> local and remote) and had 46640 deferrals. During the same time period it
> accepted 2000 smtp connections. The list log shows that 5megs of input

Just for comparison: we got a new list server here for HuLUG a couple of
months ago, and a few of us decided to do some stress-testing on it. There
were 120 subscribers on our flame list, and in only 2 hours some 200 mails
were sent to it, this means about 24000 deliveries. This would mean
24000*12=288000 if we had kept the pace up for one whole day. And the
server (p166, 64M ram, ide hdds) could have dealt with higher mail load.

The MTA that did this cleanly, with no probs (actually there were probs,
the kernel run out of file descriptors, but that was not the MTA's
problem ;)) was sendmail with a bulkmailer wrapper. And sendmail is known
for not being economical with the resources... Well, the load sometimes
got to 8 or 10 but was mostly below 3... and the reply time was 1-2
minutes at most. Someone should check something like these statistics with
exim.

Greg

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org