Re: sysvinit & kbd

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980316123453.259L-100000@Wakko.ualberta.ca>,
Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>Erm try it when kbd is 0.94  so (ie so it actually
>conflicts!). Won't work and that is where the problem is. There is no need
>to install both packages in the same line with the above setup - there is
>no loop with the above setup!
>
>Consider,
>kbd is 0.94
>sysvinit is 2.72-3

Ah, problem - I have no system with those packages actually installed,
and I don't have them lying around anywhere too..

>Try to -unpack- kbd -> cannot conflicts with sysvinit << 2.73
>Try to -unpack- sysvinit -> cannot conflicts with kbd << 0.95-2

Is this so? Hmm, is that a bug in dpkg, or is that a bug in sysvinit/kbd?
The problem is, I cannot let sysvinit Depend: on a new kbd since the
kbd maintainer has said that he might sometime make an alternative for
kbd or rename it.

>You case was,
>kbd is 0.95
>sysvinit is 2.72-3
>Try to unpack sysvinit -> ok, no conflict with new kbd
>Try to unpack kbd -> ok, no conflict with unpacked sysvinit

True.

>Read my statement very carefully, dpkg will not allow you to cause a
>conflicts (any conflicts, even installed packages) to be false.

Aha. Is there a way to fix this? I guess not ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  Luck is when preparation meets opportunity