Re: sysvinit & kbd

On 16 Mar 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980316114117.259H-100000@Wakko.ualberta.ca>,
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

> >> .. but legal. Just install them in one go.
> >
> >Excuse me? No. You must remove kbd and then install sysvinit and then kbd
> >again. dpkg will not allow to unpack a package that causes a conflicts to
> >be false (except in some obscure cases).
>
> So? You missed my point. Just install them in one go. Look:
>
>   # dpkg -l | egrep 'sysvinit|kbd'
>   ii  kbd             0.95-2         Linux console font and keytable utilities.
>   ii  sysvinit        2.72-3         System-V like init.

Erm try it when kbd is 0.94  so (ie so it actually
conflicts!). Won't work and that is where the problem is. There is no need
to install both packages in the same line with the above setup - there is
no loop with the above setup!

Consider,
kbd is 0.94
sysvinit is 2.72-3

Try to -unpack- kbd -> cannot conflicts with sysvinit << 2.73
Try to -unpack- sysvinit -> cannot conflicts with kbd << 0.95-2

You case was,
kbd is 0.95
sysvinit is 2.72-3

Try to unpack sysvinit -> ok, no conflict with new kbd
Try to unpack kbd -> ok, no conflict with unpacked sysvinit

Which is obviously not a loop.

Read my statement very carefully, dpkg will not allow you to cause a
conflicts (any conflicts, even installed packages) to be false.

Jason