Re: Dependencies / Shared libraries

Martin Schulze wrote:
  >I'm still working on a Roxen.deb.  While splitting the package
  >in a lot of pieces I've noticed unexpected things.
  >  . MySQL provides a shared library but it's not called libmysql*.so*
  >    and - I wonder why - the MySQL module doesn't seem to be linked
  >    against it.  Therefore the module doesn't depend on it.
  >
  >    Is this possible?  Or different, is this usual?
  >
  >  . Same goes for Postgres.  There is a shared Postgres library
  >    but called libpq and not libpg.  Is that intentional or a typo?
  >    Just like the MySQL module the postgres module is not linked
  >    against that library and the package doesn't depend on it.

Speaking for PostgreSQL: libpq is the upstream name of the shared
library and has been for years; even if it was originally a typo, it is
now enshrined as holy writ.

The library enables front-end programs to set up a connection to the backend.
The backend module (postgres) is not linked to it, but the front-end
(psql) is.  Any user-written program that needs to use a PostgreSQL
database needs to use the PostgreSQL header files and link to libpq.