Re: Should debhelper's dh_md5sums and dh_makeshlibs use chown?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> > It comes down to an interpertation of what is the difference between
> > "build" and "binary" targets.  The predominant interpertation is the
> > build is compile the source and binary to construct debian/tmp.  My
> > interpertation is that build compiles the source AND constructs as
> > much of debian/tmp as possible without root privileges.  binary then
> > completes the debian/tmp construction by executing commands that only
> > root can do (i.e. chown).
>
> Hmm, let's take a look at the debian packaging manual, section 3.2.1:
>
>   ... excellent discription of debian manuals ...
>
> I do understand where you're coming from - before fakeroot, my debian/rules
> files had a binary-root section, that contained all the things needed to be
> run by root. It su'd to root if you wern't already root; this allowed me to
> build the package as a normal user, and only become root for as few commands
> as possible.
>
> With fakeroot, though, I was able to ditch all that, and the result is
> really much cleaner, and safer.

I believe super works as well but I don't believe that either super or
fakeroot are safer.  I'm concerned that too much may be done in the
binary target causing a poorly constructed package to possibly damage
the builders system (I've done this to myself).  It seems that a
reasonable policy should restrict super user access to only where its
required.

--
Jean Pierre