Re: copyright question for sniffit

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> The other pointed out that this is non-free, but as the author could
> have the right intention you could give him a little pointer to the
> debian distribution, its goal and social contract and how a "good"
> copyright looks like. And how good it would be for his software to
> be spread and used by hundreds of people around the world, when it
> is in the main distribution ;)
>
> Perhaps he gets the idea ;)

AOL. I recently contacted an upstream author of a library with a nasty
no commercial use/distirbution/modification clause, and he replied the
next day saying the next version would be under either GPL or BSD;
it's almost always worth at least trying to convince the author to see
the Light (TM), sometimes they simply didn't realise the problems
they're license can create.

--
James