Re: the emulator ROM image question

I did not have time to read all the posts and the resulting discussion
of conffiles. However, I have already tackled the issue of ROM images
in the my package of VICE.

Upstream VICE (Commodore emulators pkg) allows per-user configuration
of ROM image location. This is good as the sysadmin does not a priori
have to install any images of dubious copyright.

I ship dummy images (under /usr/lib/vice) which contain "dummy\n". The
files are not .conffiles and are not directly maintained by postinst
and friends.

Instead, I have a management script which knows about the various
images (using md5sum - file names are therefore unimportant). It may
be run by users (for their own installation of ROMs) or by root for
global use; the latter are installed by (dpkg-)diverting the
distributed files.

I suppose I could have used manual maintenance of the files in my
scripts but I was playing with dpkg-divert at the time... :)

Feel free to look at the management script - it also has rudimentary
support for fetching the ROM images from remote websites etc. This
makes the difference between contrib and non-free, IMHO.

Giuliano.

See: ftp://hilfy.magd.cam.ac.uk/pub/vice/
--
mail: gpp10@cam.ac.uk / myxie@debian.org
PGP key ID: 93898735  / key available from public key servers