Re: policy violation and bug reports.

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Joey, do not remove the scores file, just zero size it.

Hm, ok.

>  the files have group read permissions, OK? In the postinst, you can touch
>  a file, set the permission, and the games *ALL* work. Try it.

Ok, I belive you. That still doesn't address the other thing that's come up
about some games having some scores in their default score file for you to
try to beat.

> 	Extra files:  56K + dosemu image

+ about 2 MB (and up) of lambdacore database. Yes, few systems have this
installed, but it's subject to the same arguments, and it would bloat /etc
to no end.

> 	 advantages of all local mods in /etc:
>  a) only need to backup /etc

It's not much harder to back up /etc + var. Moving all conffiles out of /var
will not get rid of all the files in /var that you might want to back up, or
even a large percentage of them. (For example, I have this thing about
backing up /var/lib/dpkg/ and /var/www/mrtg/. None of that is conffiles.)

>  c) configuration files are all supposed to be in /etc
>     follows current policy

But most of these files we're talking about are not traditional unix
configuration files (ie, text files that can be edited with any editor). And
many of them will never be edited by anyone (ie, all the games score files)

They are still data that changes. They belong in /var.

>  d) available on system startup

/var is mounted well before any of the programs in question are run.

> 	As to the conffile not being a configuration file, I think you
>  are wrong on that issue (you doubtless feel I am wrong). I think this
>  is a time for some deadlock breakage to occur.

Yes, at least it's time to get some one else's input. If anyone else cares
and if we haven't scared them off.

> 	I think we have reached a point where neither one of us is
>  saying anything new.

Yes.

> 	If you think policy is restrictive, get it changed.

That's why I cc'd this to debian-policy and asked for an explination of what
people thought that paragraph meant and why it was originally put in the
policy manual. Were you there? Do you remember? It was well before my time..

> I think this feeling of being restricted is just because you are not
> trying hard enough (to be polite).

I'll just ignore that since we have almost reached a civil level of
discourse.

--
see shy jo