Annoying behavior in X (broken curses?)

I would report this as a bug but I don't know which package to report
it against!

After I recently upgraded my hamm system, there is a new annoying
problem.  Whenever a curses program starts under rxvt, the screen is
cluttered with debris from the LAST curses program.  For instance,
less and joe both have this problem and I have to hit the redraw key
after starting them.  This is a new problem.

An old problem that occurs with both rxvt and xterm is that when one
exits a curses program, the display goes to something else.  This is
particularly annoying with less, since I often want to keep on-screen
the information that I was viewing.  Any ideas on what this problem
is?

Thanks,
John

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for