Re: wu-ftpd vs. wu-ftpd-academ

Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@datom.de> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 08:01:29PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> : Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> : >     Copyright (c) 1994  Washington University in Saint Louis.
> : >     All rights reserved.
> : >     CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> : >     LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
> : >     ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
> : >     POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> : >
> : > Is it free?
> :
> : Is this all of it?  I see nothing that allows distribution.
> : Just "All rights reserved".
>
> It's the central README file, not copyright file seems to be include in
> the source.
>
> After switching myself into beeing somewhat more intelligent I found
> following in src/ftpd.c.  A similar (not compared) header is in all
> (almost all?) source files.
>
> Should we now check every single source file?
>
> /* Copyright (c) 1985, 1988, 1990 Regents of the University of California.
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
>  * met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2.
[snip]

This is the Copyright notice of University of California, and its
redistribution license.

But, as seen in the README file, parts of wu-ftpd are copyright
Washington University in Saint Louis (wustl).  Where is the
redistribution license from Washington University?  If wustl hasn't
provided a redistribution license, this software is non-free.

Note: If the original had been GPL, then we would have had no problem,
since GPL requires modifications to also be GPLed.  Modifications to BSD
licensed software do not need to be redistributed under the BSD license.

- Hari