Re: Kernel compilation

Hi,
>>"Christian" == Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

Christian> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> I guess I missed something here. Can someone recap why he/she wants
>> /lib/modules moved around? As modutils maintainer it would be nice
>> to know, since it's hardcoded in there too.

Christian> As I understood this discussion, the idea is not to move
Christian> /lib/modules in the installed systems, but to find a why to
Christian> tell the kernel's Makefile to install modules into
Christian> `debian/tmp/lib/modules' during execution of make-kpkg.

	Huh? that's exactly where the modules are going. Where does
 make-kpkg put the modules on your machine?

Christian> If this is really the only reason for running make-kpkg as
Christian> root, we should patch the kernel makefiles. Perhaps it
Christian> would be sufficient, to replace /lib/modules by
Christian> $PREFIX/lib/modules or something similar.

	This is quite confused. The reason we have to run make-kpkg as
 root is the same reason that we have to run dgpkg-buildpackage
 as root (both these programs also acccomodate fakeroot et al and only
 run as root when needed).

	If I have misunderstood something, please tell me were I have
 gone astray.

	manoj
--
 print "J" ."u".                     # -- Terry Fletcher
  "s" ."t".  " A", "n"               #tfletche@pcocd2.intel.com