Re: Kernel compilation

On 21 Feb 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

[snip]
> Christian> If this is really the only reason for running make-kpkg as
> Christian> root, we should patch the kernel makefiles. Perhaps it
> Christian> would be sufficient, to replace /lib/modules by
> Christian> $PREFIX/lib/modules or something similar.
>
> 	This is quite confused. The reason we have to run make-kpkg as
>  root is the same reason that we have to run dgpkg-buildpackage
>  as root (both these programs also acccomodate fakeroot et al and only
>  run as root when needed).
>
> 	If I have misunderstood something, please tell me were I have
>  gone astray.

Oops! I said I didn't know the package so far... I just tried it and it
works perfectly with fakeroot! (Just forget what I said in my last mail.)

This is really an excellent (and I mean `excellent') program! Thanks for
writing it!

In suggestion: Since one doesn't need root privilegies, I think it would
be good to mention this in the README file. The following lines made me
assume that one has to run this all as root (yes, I thought I'm `brave and
impatient' enough ;-)

For the Brave and the impatient:
1% cd <kernel source tree>
2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
3% make-kpkg clean
4% make-kpkg -revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
5% dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
6% shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                   # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Perhaps you should mention that 1% to 4% can (and probably _should_) be
done as non-root.

Also note, that the make-kpkg is currently sitting in /usr/sbin. Perhaps
this command should be moved into /usr/bin then.

Anyways, I really like this package and I'm going to use it for all my
machines here and at work...

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/