Re: Applixware / Packaging Proprietary Software

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Sven Rudolph wrote:
> > Some problems:
> >
> > - alien doesn't grok package renaming:
>
> Package renaming is weird, anyway. What's the benefit?

More descriptive naming; avoiding namespace pollution.

Original names vs. my names:
axbase		applixware-base
apxeng		applixware-english
apxfrn		applixware-french
apxgrm		applixware-german
axart		applixware-clipart
axdocu		applixware-docu
axlang		applixware-lang
bookeng		applixware-book-english
bookfrn		applixware-book-french
bookgrm		applixware-book-german
helpeng		applixware-help-english
helpfrn		applixware-help-french
helpgrm		applixware-help-german

We have filesystems where the names can be beyond 8.3, and in addition
we don't have to rely on the filesystem to store the package
names. Otherwise we will end up with package names like SUNWsbum ...

> > I just saw that latest alien already provides support for packaging
> > applixware. (BTW: Calling these applix is wrong; Applix is the name of
> > the company that owns Applixware ...)
>
> Applix is what redhat calls it. I don't see any reason to deviate from that.

IMHO it is simply wrong, and that makes a reason to change it.  (We
don't package GNU Fileutils under the name `gnu' just because it is
the only part of the name that fits in 8.3.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
http://www.sax.de/~sr1/