Re: Applixware / Packaging Proprietary Software

Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Some problems:
>
> - alien doesn't grok package renaming:

Package renaming is weird, anyway. What's the benefit?

> I have no idea how to solve this, so we probably have to accept this
> limitation. I used to `dpkg --record-avail' and used dselect for
> package selection, so I had to create .deb files anyway.

I don't see any clean way to solve it either.

> - I want to convert 13 packages using the same diff
>
>   I could create symlinks in /var/lib/alien, but I still need a way
>   to find out which package shall be created. alien could pass the
>   name of the file by setting an environment variable.

Ugly hack: use something like packagename = expr `pwd` : '.*/\(.*\)-.*'

> - tiny: alien -d foo/*.rpm should process multiple files (I didn't
>   test whether this already works.)

It doesn't work at the moment, but you can use xargs -n 1 alien or some such
thing. I can easily add it, but the --patch parameter won't make much sense
in this context.

> I just saw that latest alien already provides support for packaging
> applixware. (BTW: Calling these applix is wrong; Applix is the name of
> the company that owns Applixware ...)

Applix is what redhat calls it. I don't see any reason to deviate from that.

> But these patches definitely aren't for my version. It's by S.u.S.e
> and provides support for Englisch, French and German.

Actually, so does the applixware I used to do this. But the patches are out
of date and probably somewhat buggy and I only did the english module.

--
see shy jo