Re: More about lintian

In article <[🔎] m0y34X4-000CQTC@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl>,
joost witteveen <joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

>Yes, these are all very good ideas. But the original complainer mentioned
>that there should be an escape. So, could we also have:
>  ..
>that would simply serve as an escape?

Definately.  In my package, gsn-curses, I copied the upstream author's
description of the game, which ends like this:

  [...]
  two all get in your way; and somehow you keep being reminded of your
  family through the ages, and all its Curses...

  ...could it be that even you are Cursed?

Now, how can I re-wrap that last short paragraph to prevent the dots
appearing at the start of a line?  I can't.

I think we should, as joost said, use `..' for a dot at the start of
a line.  (This is the same escaping mechanism that SMTP uses, I believe.)

In other words: we've defined that lines starting with `.' are control
sequences; if we're ever going to define any of these control sequences,
let's start by defining `..<something>' to mean "<something> preceeded
by a `.'"?

If nothing else, it'll prevent this discussion happening again.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>

PS: If my messages seem late or out-of-date, it's because I'm
    communicating in batch mode via floppy-disk-net!