Re: lintian/tcpquota

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980215212512.13442A-100000@monet>,
Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:

>On 15 Feb 1998, Ulf Fredriksson wrote:
>
>> 3. W: tcpquota: relative-conffile etc/cron.weekly/tcpquotad
>>    W: tcpquota: relative-conffile etc/init.d/tcpquotad
>>    W: tcpquota: relative-conffile etc/tcpquota/tcpquota.cf
>>
>>    I read in some of the new-maintainer docs before I became
>>    a developer that that was the way, use relative paths...
>>
>>    When I create the package, it should install in 'debian/tmp/....'
>>    NOT '/etc'... That's why I used relative, because when the install
>>    is taking place, it is installed in '/etc'... Explanation
>>    wanted please...
>[snip]
>
>Please check out the Policy Manual, section 3.3.5 for details.
>
>Links into /etc and /var should be absolute, all others relative.

Correct, but the answer to the wrong question.  I don't think he's
talking about symlinks.

The filenames in debian/tmp/DEBIAN/conffiles should be absolute (start
with a `/') because they refer to the files as they will exist on
the machine where they are installed.  When you install them into the
debian/tmp heirachy, though, you'll probably need to use relative names.

(Sorry, Turbo, if I've got the wrong end of the stick; I have no direct
'net access from here, so I can't check your package.)

Cheers,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>

PS: If my messages seem late or out-of-date, it's because I'm
    communicating in batch mode via floppy-disk-net!