Re: autoup.sh & considerations on bail-out scripts

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

> Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> asked:
> > Can't we just provide an empty placeholder package (like we've done so
> > many times in the past) and change timezones to conflict with prior
> > versions of the timezone package?
>
>      timezones (from hamm) declares that it "Replaces: timezone" and
> "Conflicts: timezone".  timezone: 7.48-3I from rex is "Essential: yes",
>
> which is not the case in ver. 7.55-2 in bo.  I thought dpkg would
> happily replace timezone with with timezones, but it refuses.  I'm not
> familiar with the empty placeholder package concept.  If it works, it
> would certainly be an alternate to the solution now used in autoup.sh.

The correct path for the upgrade is to upgrade to the bo timezone package.
This is the only way to make the upgrade to timezones work at this time.
If we really need this to work for folks who are still pre-bo, it should
be possible to include the timezone package from bo in hamm just so the
autoup.sh can use it to make the transition. Any modification to the
timezones package is going to make the same difficulty occur later in just
the same fashion. Timezone and its successor timezones should not be
essential. This is a bug in the rex version of timezone that is fixed by
an upgrade to timezone from bo. These special case routes to upgrade need
to be advertised and integrated into the upgrade procedures.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-