master under v. high load, bug WWW updates temporarily every 4h

I've reduced the frequency of the bug web update cron job to once
every 4 hours becase master has been at a load of 30 for the past
several hours.

I think something should be done about this extreme load on master.
Two things ought to be investigated:

1. I notice that Kai is running a cronjob which does an ls -laR on the
ftp tree every day.  Do we not have enough indices ?

2. The system's cron.daily may need pruning.

3. Would more memory help ?

Ian.