Re: master under v. high load, bug WWW updates temporarily every 4h

owner@bugs.debian.org (Ian Jackson) writes:

> I've reduced the frequency of the bug web update cron job to once
> every 4 hours becase master has been at a load of 30 for the past
> several hours.

> I think something should be done about this extreme load on master.
> Two things ought to be investigated:

> 1. I notice that Kai is running a cronjob which does an ls -laR on the
> ftp tree every day.  Do we not have enough indices ?

> 2. The system's cron.daily may need pruning.

> 3. Would more memory help ?

Does the script that generates the "Packages" files still scan the
entire tree (calculating `md5sum's as it goes)?  It would take less
CPU to do incremental updates, adding entries as packages are moved
into the tree and removing entries as packages are moved out, doing an
complete rebuild every week or so, just in case.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu