Re: syslog facilities

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 04:57:52PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Is there any policy/convention about using facilities local0
>  though local 7? I notice that ppp has take onver local2 and local5
>  now belogs to hylafax (on my machine).
>
> 	I ask this since I want to add a chanel to named for logging
>  all the queries, and I could use local?; however, I do not want to
>  stomp on any toes. Can we have a facility or two reserved for the
>  local admin? Like maybe local1 and local2 or something?

More importantly, is it possible to start hacking new LOG_* facilities into
our C library?  In my opinion, local0 through local7 really should be for
_local_ use.  That's like /usr/local:  the system, as distributed, should
stay out of it.

There are entries for kern, mail, news, uucp, and even lpr (!) according to
the syslog(3) man page.  Do we have to stay with BSD's silly defaults?

Now if only they had given us a string instead of a #define for the
facility... but that's in the past.  If someone wants a fun hacking
project, they should add a feature to syslog to log based on the
"identifier" passed to openlog().

Have fun,

Avery