Debian "goals" question

I've been using Slackware for about 2 years now and sometimes am
disgusted by things like the file system structure not following the FHS
and simple little things like vi actually being elvis.  What I want to
know about Debian, as I am considering switching, is one of your overall
goals to be more "Unix like"?  I want a Linux system that most closely
resembles that of the big Unix names, and I understand that they do vary
themselves.  I am tired of having certain programs have compile problems
because Slackware uses non-standard directory layout.  I tend to not use
the tarballs that are distributed for Slackware, I lile to compile my
own.  Anyhow, I'm rambling on now.  Can you give me any help here :-)

Thanks
Derric L. Tubbs