Re: New Package: bo-upgrade 0.1 (source all)

Hi,

	Why was this package not discused/announced on the devel list?
 It seems to me that packaging this is particularily useless; as it is
 a simple one shot script that can be run manually, and there is no
 point having it on the system.

	Running it through dselect is too late, anyway; and I'd rather
 not run anything this finicky deep in dpkg's guts.

	manoj

>>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com> writes:

Christoph> Package: bo-upgrade

Christoph>  Description: Upgrade from bo to hamm
Christoph> This package might be dangerous for your system! Backup
Christoph> first and read the following instructions: . This package
Christoph> will upgrade an existing bo (Debian 1.3.X) system to a
Christoph> glibc based hamm (Debian 2.0) system. For that purpose
Christoph> around 7 Megabytes worth of .deb packages must either be
Christoph> transferred to the system or be already present on the
Christoph> system. Make sure that you have at least 30MB free if you
Christoph> intend to install this package. . Attention: Please install
Christoph> this package with "dpkg -i bo-upgrade*.deb". DO NOT install
Christoph> this package using dselect unless you are absolutely sure
Christoph> what you are doing. . On installation this package will
Christoph> make sure that all the .deb packages you need for an
Christoph> upgrade are present on the system. If that is the case then
Christoph> it will start a background job and dpkg will return to the
Christoph> Linux prompt. . The background job will notice when dpkg
Christoph> has finished and perform the upgrade. At the end of the
Christoph> upgrade utmp and wtmp will be cleared, the bo-upgrade
Christoph> package will be purged and then the system will
Christoph> reboot. After the reboot you should be able to use dselect
Christoph> to install other Debian 2.0 packages possibly doing a
Christoph> complete upgrade. . The package will write logs to
Christoph> /root/nohup.out . If this package does not cause a reboot
Christoph> then the installation was not successful. Please
Christoph> reconfigure this package using "dpkg --configure
Christoph> bo-upgrade" until the system reboots. . If you find
Christoph> anything that you can improve then do it and reupload the
Christoph> new package or send me the diffs.

Christoph> -- TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word
Christoph> "unsubscribe" to
Christoph> debian-devel-changes-request@lists.debian.org .  Trouble?
Christoph> e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .

--
 "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of
 gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing