Re: /etc/ppp/pap-secrets is read/writable only by root

Avery Pennarun writes:
> However, the ppp package provides /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets as mode
> 0600, owned by root.  Thus, wvdial, which otherwise could run as a normal
> user (and call a setuid pppd when necessary) must now run as root.

> There are several solutions:

> Any suggestions?

A suid program to edit /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets.  As I am about finished
with my pppconfig program and my package 'dunc'suffers from the same
problem, I will start work on this ASAP.  This will initially be a C
wrapper around an ed script, and do nothing but add or remove the string
given on the command line.

Does anything like this already exist? Seems like it should have other
uses.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)