Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

> On 29 Jan 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> [snip]

> > john> I know that.  It appeared to me that Manoj was objecting to that
> > john> very thing.

OK, sorry. I misread Manoj's statement.

> That's the dilemma: one the one hand you want an easy way to override
> lintian's error messages (if lintian should have a bug and there is no
> easy way to override it, people will start to hate lintian--which would be
> worse than having no lintian) and on the other hand you don't want
> maintainers to override lintian's error messages just to get the package
> installed in the archive but w/o checking/fixing possible bugs.
>
> That's why we considered the following solution: The lintian-overrides
> would have to be included in the corresponding changelog file entry, for
> example:

But that means that the tempcap package would have to have an lintian
entry in it's .changes file every time it gets uploaded? I strongly
object to this! I think it's _very_ good that there is/willbe a checker
that checks "normal" packages for conformance with the policy, but I
do think that it should be possible for non-normal packages to differ
sensibly with the policy. For example, policy for libraries is written
with 'normal' libraries in mind. For fakeroot I probably also break
current/future policy, as fakeroot comes with a shared library, but
doesn't have the major version number in the package name. Now for
nearly every library this is a very bad idea, but there's really
nothing that would suggest to me that having major numbers in fakeroot's
name is good. So I think it would be good if lintian checked for
"major version number part of package name", and reported errors for
that. But I don't want to have to set a overrule in my .changes file
every I upload fakeroot.

Also I'm not sure we should allow/advice maintainers to upload packages
with lintian overrides in them, just because the new upload contains
(signifficantly) less bugs than the old one. Gcc also doesn't say
"OK, I cannot find this #include file, but at least this time there's
only one misspelled #include file, so let's generate a .o anyway",
and dpkg-buildpackage also stricktly refuses to build any package that
it finds errors in (and dpkg-* also does sanity checks, like lintian).

So, in short: I think overrides (even easy ones) are essential, but
I think they only should be used when the maintainer thinks his package
is so special that some part of debian-policy doesn't apply to his
package.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.