Re: crontabs + m4 = ?

On 14-Jan-98, 15:09 (CST), Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@itzehoe.netsurf.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > Except that causing cron to read files from /etc/cron.d is easy (much
> > easier than causing them all to pass through m4, because of the way
> > the cron code is structured), incompatible only to the extent that the
> > sysadmin needs to look in /etc/cron.d for additional files, and most
> > importantly, it's done. :-)
>
> Disadvantage: What happens, if you decide to deinstall 25 packages with
> cron-scripts? This will result in 25 files in /etc/cron.d, which are only
> scanning for its <pkgname>-cronjob. What about making the
> /etc/cron.d-files executables, so they go away when you decide to
> deinstall the package.

Note that the same thing is happening in the current
cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} directories right now. Not to mention
the fact that they *aren't* executable, there crontab entries, so
making them executables is confusing. If you actually meant "make them
non-conffiles", there's some logic to it, but again, it's likely to
be confusing, because as a sysadmin, I'd expect any changes I made
to stick, because they sure look like something that ought to be a
conffile.

I just answered a letter from Christian Schwarz, and noted that
because they are conffiles, the entries probably should look like

* * * * * user test -f /path/to/file && command

where the '/path/to/file' is some file that is in the
package, and is removed when the package is removed but
not purged, so that package removal doesn't result in tons
of email to the sysadmin.

> Disadvantage of this: You can't change the period in which the cronjob
> will be executed. This change will get lost on deinstall of the package.

Exactly.

steve