Re: Lobby this, somebody

Hi,

>>"Noel" == Noel Maddy <ncm@biostat.hfh.edu> writes:

Noel> It still leaves me with one question, though.  If the kernel
Noel> headers that Debian is supplying for libc6 compilation are
Noel> needed only for libc6 compilation, why are they kept in /usr/src
Noel> with a symlink rather than putting them directly in
Noel> /usr/include/linux?

	Well, this kinda belongs to the can of worms we fondly
 remember as "Debian's /usr/src policy" ;-). Lets see if I can address
 this. Firstly, kernel headers are not merely for libc6
 compilation. In fact, /usr/src/linux is not referenced at all by
 normal compilation processes: those depend, in particular, on the
 symbolic link /usr/src/linux-2.0.32, which is provided by either
 kernel-headers-2.0.32 or by kernel-source-2.0.32.

 /usr/src/linux           is meant to be a link to the chronologically
                          latest installed set of kernel headers
 /usr/src/linux-X.X.XX    is meant to be a link to a specific version
                          of kernel include files.

Noel> I would think that having kernel-headers put them directly into
Noel> /usr/include/linux would make more sense.  That probably means
Noel> that I'm not understanding some of the issues...

	Then that means you could not have more than one kernel
 headers or source packages installed. I have, at the moment, 2
 header packages and 4 source packages on my machine. If they all
 tried to go into /usr/src/linux; that would be chaos. Especially if
 /usr/src/linux were merely overlaid with the most recent install
 (imagine installing 2.0.34 over 2.1.82 -- what a mess)

	It is easy to manipulate the symbolic link in the
 postrm/postinst phases of package management.

	Why have them there at all? It is for the convenience of
 module writes, honest ;-)

	If I am a developer who has lovingly crafted, say, a kernel
 module inextricably linked to a particular kernel version (and I
 happen to know it does not work with older kernels, and may not work
 with newer ones), I would put -I/usr/src/linux-Y.Y.YY, for the
 relevant Y.Y.YY version of the kernel. The user may then install the
 whole kernel source, or just the headers, and my module shall
 compile.

	If, on the other hand, I am creating a module that say,
 reports details on kernel internals, based on a set of definitions
 based in a kernel header file, which may change from kernel to kernel
 but has a fixed API, I can get a version tailored to the latest
 kernel version by just specifying: -I/usr/src/linux, and be satisfied
 that I can load a kernel header or source package, and recompile my
 code, and it shall pick up the latest set of headers.

	In either case I may have to put code into the module to test
 the running kernel if required ;-)

	That is the rationale behind the set of symlinks
 /usr/src/linux* on a Debian system (remember, actual headers and
 sources reside in /usr/src/kernel-{header,source}-Y.Y.YY).

	I hope this clarifies things a trifle.

	manoj
 I think I shall place this as a rationale for the links in kernel-package
--
 If one would only apply to oneself what one teaches others, when one
 was well disciplined oneself one could train others. It is oneself