Re: afbackup now nearly GPL-ed

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 11:38:08AM +0100, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Albert Fluegel <af@muc.de> writes:
>
> > afbackup is actually under unstable and non-free.
> > I don't comment the first term here ;-) but the
> > non-free is not true actually. It's nearly completely
> > GPL-ed.
>
>   The server side of this backup system must not be ported
>   to any Microsoft-based "operating-system".
>
> IMHO the last sentence conflicts with this part of the DFSG:
>
>     6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
>        The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
>        program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
>        restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being
>        used for genetic research.
>
> So according to Debian classification afbackup still belongs into
> non-free.
>
> I'd really like to see afbackup's licence conform with the DFSG; on
> the other hand it is your software, and I'm in no position to demand
> something from you.

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the afbackup debian package which is quite out
of date presently. I'm working on the new release 2.11.1.

I would be really happy if you could rethink your term about the port
to Microsoft-based operating systems. IMHO your program would be a
nice extension to the other available backup options in debian.

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de