Re: afbackup now nearly GPL-ed

Albert Fluegel <af@muc.de> writes:

> afbackup is actually under unstable and non-free.
> I don't comment the first term here ;-) but the
> non-free is not true actually. It's nearly completely
> GPL-ed.

According to Debian policy `non-free' is defined in terms of the DFSG
<http://www.de.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines> .

The afbackup Licence says :
  This software comes under the GNU-GPL with one small
  restriction stated at the end of this file. This
  file must not be removed from the distribution nor is
  it allowed to change it or the file "COPYING", that
  is attached and contains the unmodified GNU general
  public license.

  The server side of this backup system must not be ported
  to any Microsoft-based "operating-system".

IMHO the last sentence conflicts with this part of the DFSG:

    6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
       The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
       program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
       restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being
       used for genetic research.

So according to Debian classification afbackup still belongs into
non-free.

I'd really like to see afbackup's licence conform with the DFSG; on
the other hand it is your software, and I'm in no position to demand
something from you.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>