Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

Hi Manoj,

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> Hi,
> >>"Jens" == Jens Ritter <jens@unsolved.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
> Jens> I think John´s right here. Because there`re a lot of maintainers
> Jens> who do not have a permanent connection to the net (and
> Jens> especially in Germany it is very expensive to connect via the
> Jens> phone). The upload should be as short as possible.
>
> 	Huh? Who is talking about longer uploads? The idea is that the
>  maintainer runs lintian locally, to detect any policy bugs, and
>  *fixes* them before uploading.
>
> 	This shall result in less time on the phone, since uploading
>  bug-ridden pathces shall cause bugs to be reported, causing
>  the bug system to send you mail  ($$$$), causing you to fix them, and
>  reupload ($$$$$$$$) and then send mail to close the bug ($$$).
>
> 	See? we are trying to save you money.

Yes, I see.

As I recall there were 3 options: 1) Run lintian on
master, 2) run it at home  3) on upload (on master --- Seems i did get
this wrong).

> 	This is quite confused. When lintian is run by dinstall, and
>  it fails, dinstall shall presumably move the package into REJECT/ and
>  send you mail ($$$). It shall, then, disappear from /Incoming, and
>  not be installed. and you shall have to reupload ($$$$$).

Yes, but the $$$ is your problem then, isn´t it?
You could have run lintian at home.

> 	This is better than giving the genral public packages we know
>  have bugs. The solution: run lintian yourselves before uploading the
>  package.
>
> 	You do test your package before uploading them, don't you?

I will test them, yes. I´m still a wannabe maintainer.

I think that Quality assurance is essential for the Debian Project and
this should be so clear to everyone, you don´t have to mention this.

Happy Linuxing,

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@post.rwth-aachen.de
finger jens@unsolved.weh.rwth-aachen.de for pgp-key
(during normal european business time hours)