Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 02:36:19PM +1100, Tyson Dowd wrote:

>> [ using only perl for lintian ]

> Although I can see where you're coming from, I don't think it's a good
> idea to arbitrarily convert programs from one language to another simply
> because of language popularity.

Actually, it was because perl is included in our base disks, and
everyone has it.  Python is not.  My thought was that it might be nice
to not make all the developers install a language that they may only
use for one program.

> If maintainability is becoming an issue, or portability, then conversion
> may be worthwhile, but it's not really worth the effort until these
> problems arise. Converting all programs to the "lowest common
> denominator" erodes any chance for better languages to be adopted.

OOOhhhhh.. "lowest common denominator", "better languages".. them's
fightin words where I come from;-))

Seriously though, I'm not that concerned about it, it was more a
passing thought than something I'd be willing to get into a flame war
about:-)

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org