Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

On 26-Jan-1998, David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 1998 at 11:55:34PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > Together with Richard Braakman I'm working on a policy checker tool called
> > `lintian' which is a collection of shell/perl/python scripts to check
>
> Hmmm sorry I'm speaking without examining code, but.. is it really
> necessary to have both perl and python?  I'll leave the flamewar over
> which one to use to the list, but.. it seems a little bit excessive to
> have two languages that are quite similiar in funcionality...  If I
> were given clear directions, I could have a shot at redoing the python
> portions in Perl.  I'm sure there are much more qualified people (ie,
> that speak python!:-), but I hate to ask for things like this without
> at least trying to help out somehow..

Although I can see where you're coming from, I don't think it's a good
idea to arbitrarily convert programs from one language to another simply
because of language popularity.

If maintainability is becoming an issue, or portability, then conversion
may be worthwhile, but it's not really worth the effort until these
problems arise. Converting all programs to the "lowest common
denominator" erodes any chance for better languages to be adopted.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of