Re: packaging static lib oriented software

> I also have a lot of trouble believing a 30% slow-down for PIC code.
> Do you have good benchmarks for this?

Even a 5% slow down is too much. People seem to forget that when you
are running really large programs that that can be significant.

Independent of that, it would be nice to allow for some flexibility
in packages. People do it all the time. I knew I was crossing
the line when packaging fftw, but it really makes sense.

A large system wastes quite a lot of space on unnecessary static
libraries running around. Why not allow for packaging that gives
you greater flexibility in what gets installed?

- Jay