Re: packaging static lib oriented software

From: James A.Treacy <treacy@debian.org>
> But with shared libraries, the entire library is loaded

Not on a virtual-memory system like Linux. Only the text pages that
you are using would be part of your working set.  The text pages that
you are not using would be part of the mapped library, but would not be
copied into RAM. The data all gets copied into RAM and relocated, but
then if you don't touch it, the data goes out to swap space.  If your
working set is much larger with shared libraries, I suggest you try to
order the functions for locality of reference within the library.

I also have a lot of trouble believing a 30% slow-down for PIC code.
Do you have good benchmarks for this?

	Thanks

	Bruce