Re: Dependency and priority mismatches

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es> writes:
>
> > Well, I'm working on the boot-floppies package these days, and as I have
> > set it up, it includes both SLang and ncurses in the base system (only
> > SLang in the rescue disk). IIRC, Bruce advocates for using SLang to
> > replace ncurses where we can, so that's what I've been trying to do.
>
> Putting slang on the boot-floppies to save space is fine.  Putting it
> on the base disks is meaningless.  You'll never be able to get ncurses
> off the base disks unless you want to do major work on bash &
> libreadline.  So by slanging (?!) the default versions of base
> programs, you're just making the base disks *bigger* by forcing us to
> include ncurses and slang.

This is true. OTOH base system size isn't critical, because most
people don't install base from floppy, and even if they are forced to
use floppy they don't have to do it more than once per computer.

Moving slang out of base and requiring slang *and* ncurses versions is
a bigger nuisance (IMHO).

> > I prefer having a default cfdisk linked against SLang, as we have the
> > default ae linked against SLang, it makes my work easier
>
> ae is the emergency /bin editor, but slang is in /usr/lib !  Very bad !

This will change RSN.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>