Re: MTAs and -B8BITMIME

kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

> > sendmail rewrites the message using quoted-printable MIME.
>
> I'd hope that sendmail first tries to deliver it via ESMTP 8BITMIME before
> rewriting it, otherwise this would be the most useless feature ever.

I don't know; I am not familiar with that option and have found no
good documentation on it.

> > I received a bug report recently (#17103) stating that Elm doesn't
> > handle 8-bit characters properly.  It seems to work fine on my
> > system.  The MTA in question is Exim.  Is it possible that Exim
> > doesn't support -B8BITMIME?  (Which has been in sendmail for a LONG
> > time).  If so, is this a bug in Exim or Elm?  And why?
>
> Personally, I'd call it a bug in Elm, for assuming every MTA supports that
> flag. Exim doesn't, and neither, it seems, does Smail. So Elm should at
> least be configurable.

It is a compile-time option for elm.  I can compile Elm to
automatically encode into quoted-printable if this would be best for
compatibility with mailers not as featureful as sendmail.

(BTW, I thought smail and Exim were command-line compatible with
sendmail?)

The bug report that I originally received said that messages with
high-ASCII characters were being sent without any warning of failure.
It appears that Exim will just ignore any messages with -B8BITMIME
with no warning at all!  BAD!

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for