Re: [comp.os.linux.development.apps] RPM/DPKG for Commercial Use?

On 17 Jan 1998, Paul Seelig wrote:

> Has anybody else noticed this request in
> 'comp.os.linux.development.apps'?  What is dpkg's status quo in regard
> to portability?  Anybody competent in these questions cares to follow
> up on this guy's question?  I'd really like to use one of these
> package managers as well under HP-UX, and if possible this should be
> dpkg since i already know it to a sufficient degree for my means.
> Unfortunately i can't port it myself.

dpkg has been ported on Solaris by Ch. lameter (ftp.fuller.edu:/Solaris),
and I seem to remember that s/o told here he ported dpkg on HP-UX and
another one on NeXTstep/m68k (grep the debian-devel list archive...) dpkg
has not been ported to any other platform AFAIK.

rpm does run on the following platforms:
       Linux - Sparc/Intel/PowerPC/Alpha/m68k/SGI
       Solaris - Sparc/Intel
       Hewlett-Packard HP-UX 10.20
       SCO OpenServer 5.0.2
       Digital UNIX 3.2/4.0
       SunOS 4.1.3
       HP-UX 9.05
       AIX 3.2.5
       NCR v2.02 (i486-ncr-sysv4.3.2.2.0)

See http://www.rpm.org for more details. (dont miss www.solaris.rpm.org
too ! )

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -

Does it run on these systems, without anything extra installed:
 - Solaris
 - Digital UNIX
 - HP-UX
 - AIX
 - SunOS
I believe it said they did, but I didn't have luck with a quick compile.
The machines I would be using it for wouldn't have it, so I would have
to install it as a first step. I can't be installing a lot of extra
stuff though.

Can I use it to install just binaries? I suspect I can, but most of the
examples seem to focus on packages that include source (obviously), and
I can't distribute source.

Licensing? Is it alright if I just distribute or point at the sources
for RPM or DPKG? Or is there more to it?

Has anyone done this before (used them for commercial binary
distribution on non-Linux machines)? I may not, I already have a little
package installer that I wrote that works fine for what I want, I'm just
checking out the possibility.

Any advice would be appreciated, please cc to my email, thanks in
advance!

--
SEGV

--- End Message ---