[comp.os.linux.development.apps] RPM/DPKG for Commercial Use?

Has anybody else noticed this request in
'comp.os.linux.development.apps'?  What is dpkg's status quo in regard
to portability?  Anybody competent in these questions cares to follow
up on this guy's question?  I'd really like to use one of these
package managers as well under HP-UX, and if possible this should be
dpkg since i already know it to a sufficient degree for my means.
Unfortunately i can't port it myself.
                                        Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig

--- Begin Message ---
I'm just scoping out the possibility of using Red Hat's RPM or Debian's
DPKG for commercial use. I've checked some of the readmes, but they
don't have quite all the information I am looking for so here goes:

Does it run on these systems, without anything extra installed:
 - Solaris
 - Digital UNIX
 - HP-UX
 - AIX
 - SunOS
I believe it said they did, but I didn't have luck with a quick compile.
The machines I would be using it for wouldn't have it, so I would have
to install it as a first step. I can't be installing a lot of extra
stuff though.

Can I use it to install just binaries? I suspect I can, but most of the
examples seem to focus on packages that include source (obviously), and
I can't distribute source.

Licensing? Is it alright if I just distribute or point at the sources
for RPM or DPKG? Or is there more to it?

Has anyone done this before (used them for commercial binary
distribution on non-Linux machines)? I may not, I already have a little
package installer that I wrote that works fine for what I want, I'm just
checking out the possibility.

Any advice would be appreciated, please cc to my email, thanks in
advance!

--
SEGV

--- End Message ---