Re: Emacsen intermediate step proposal.

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> If you're going to patch those 27 packages, then that's another matter.
> Presumably then the transition will be seemless.  Given that, my only
> objection is I much prefer the virtual name "emacs" to "emacsen", but
> that's such a minor thing that I'm sure I'll get over it.  <grin>

I'd love to use "emacs" as the virutal package name, but I've been
told several times that dpkg just can't handle the switch.  I'd love
to be proven wrong and given a "conflicts/depends/replaces" recipie
that would work.

Note that if it helps we're about to have an emacsen-common package
which all the other emacsen will depend on.

Ideally, we'd put the new emacs19 package that has "Provide: emacsen"
into experimental until all the add-on packages have been fixed, then
upload en-masse.  I think that might satisfy your main complaint.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>