Re: Emacsen proposal (assuming silence == acceptance)

"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> Well, the conflict would be for pre-emacsen-common versions of emacs
> and xemacs.  The reason is that emacsen-common's going to change the
> /etc/emacs/site-start.el file to remove (debian-run-directory) since
> the emacsen are supposed to add that to their startup.el file
> instead.  Without the conflict, if someone upgrades emacs, adding
> emacsen-common, their existing xemacs wouldn't work right anymore
> since /etc/emacs/site-start.d/* won't be run anymore.

Huh.  I don't see how this introduces a conflict in all flavors of
Emacs.  That is to say, a change in /etc/emacs/site-start.el is
ignored by my current-installed XEmacs (version xemacs19-19.16-1).
Therefore, creating a conflict would be bad.  Maybe current XEmacs20
is different; I haven't installed that one, but I suspect it uses
/etc/xemacs/site-start-<majorversion>.d/, just like XEmacs19.

> What I wanted was to force all the installed emacsen to be upgraded
> whenever emacs-common gets installed.

This seems a little extreme.

> Now that I think about it,
> perhaps this isn't a big deal since I don't even think you can have
> both emacs and xemacs installed right now.

Sure you can.  Works great.

To be honest, rather than going into conflict land, I think you'd do
better to build up the new, standard way of running site-start.el in a
new and different location (/etc/emacsen/site-start.el) or though some
other more clever mechanism create a transition more smooth than
'conflicts'. ;)