Re: Emacsen proposal (assuming silence == acceptance)

James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> writes:

> I have no problem with it, but please don't make it conflict.  It
> won't add anything and will just cause problems (as far as I
> understand the proposal there are no overlapping files, so a conflict
> won't do anything but add an artificial conflict).  The next version
> of xemacs I put out after emacsen-common is out will just require that
> package and that should be all that is needed.

Well, the conflict would be for pre-emacsen-common versions of emacs
and xemacs.  The reason is that emacsen-common's going to change the
/etc/emacs/site-start.el file to remove (debian-run-directory) since
the emacsen are supposed to add that to their startup.el file instead.
Without the conflict, if someone upgrades emacs, adding
emacsen-common, their existing xemacs wouldn't work right anymore
since /etc/emacs/site-start.d/* won't be run anymore.

What I wanted was to force all the installed emacsen to be upgraded
whenever emacs-common gets installed.  Now that I think about it,
perhaps this isn't a big deal since I don't even think you can have
both emacs and xemacs installed right now.

What do you think?

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>