Re: MTA for firewalls, etc. ?

"Christian" == Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> A lot of packages (e.g., cron) require a mail-transport-agent to be
> installed. For security and other reasons, I'd like to have a very
> simple MTA which will deliver all mails locally (i.e., directly to
> /var/spool/mail) without any `.forwards' files, etc. The MTA should
> not accept connections from outside and should never send any mails
> to other hosts.

> One could probably tune sendmail/smail to do this, but I'd
> appreciate having some _very_ simply MTA (since forgetting to turn
> off a feature would result in a security leak). Does someone know a
> program/package which does this job?

Huh.  I'm not sure if it meets you particular needs, but you should
check out smap and smapd from the firewall toolkit (cf debian fwtk
package).

I remember something about some other packages, bstmpd I think, but I
don't remember where that's from and I can't seem to find any relevant
URLs.

What you're asking for seems a little strange and will probably not be
available out of the box.  How are users checking their mail if it's
sitting in a spool dir on the firewall?