Re: Duplicate messages on this list

On Dec  4, 1997, at 23:55, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 > 	Personally, I still think that reply-to is a bad solution; we
 >  are just pandering to broken software (decent software, like gnus,
 >  allows on to set mailing list parameters [look for to-address] such
 >  that group replies go only to the list). Or else one can just delete
 >  additional addresses.

OK, how do I make everybody else use gnus so I will not get their
duplicate copies?

 > 	If I choose to send a message to a person personally, I do not
 >  want Debian to hijack that message.

On articles/replies sent to the list, do you more often reply directly
to the author or to the whole list? I would think the latter.

 > 	Why do we have a policy about CC's? I like CC's; they generally
 >  propagate to me faster. Where is this policy stated? (I just looked
 >  into debian-policy, and /usr/doc/debian/mailing-list.txt, with no
 >  success). If indeed there is such a policy, it has been hidden quite
 >  successfully. (I certainly don't remember this being ratified).

I don't know if the policy exists or not, but what would be the
purpose of CC'ing somebody if you were sure the message is going to
the list? Even more, wouldn't you want the message to go ONLY to the
list, so that nobody would get duplicates?

 > 	The people with sad mail software and lazy fingers are
 >  penalizing the people with low bandwidth. Don't break conforming
 >  software to cater to broken software.

This is somewhat comparable to "unwilling spam": somebody is
(unwillingly) FORCING me to receive multiple copies of their
messages. As in real spam, there is nothing I can actually do to stop
them from doing it; but I could use a feature as adding a Reply-To
header to alleviate the problem.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm # Windows 95: n. 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for
gonzo@ing.puc.cl # a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally