Re: Duplicate messages on this list

Hi,

	Personally, I still think that reply-to is a bad solution; we
 are just pandering to broken software (decent software, like gnus,
 allows on to set mailing list parameters [look for to-address] such
 that group replies go only to the list). Or else one can just delete
 additional addresses.

	When I hit the reply button, I want to talk to the author. Not
 to the list. If someone wants a reply sent to a different address, I
 want my reply to go to the place they have set. Why are you breaking
 that? To cater to broken software?

	If I choose to send a message to a person personally, I do not
 want Debian to hijack that message.

	Why do we have a policy about CC's? I like CC's; they genrally
 propogate to me faster. Where is this policy stated? (I just looked
 into debian-policy, and /usr/doc/debian/mailing-list.txt, with no
 success). If indeed there is such a policy, it has been hidden quite
 succesfully. (I certainly don't remember this being ratified).

	The people with sad mail software and lazy fingers are
 penalizing the people with low bandwidth. Don't break conforming
 software to cater to broken software.

	manoj
--
 Any vacuum cleaner would sooner take the nap off a rug than remove
 white threads from a dark rug.
     lists where it's expected that everybody that writes to the
     mailing list is subscribed to it.  Since using this parameter
     ensures that the mail only goes to the mailing list itself, it
     means that members won't receive two copies of your followups.

     Using `to-address' will actually work whether the group is foreign
     or not.  Let's say there's a group on the server that is called
     `fa.4ad-l'.  This is a real newsgroup, but the server has gotten
     the articles from a mail-to-news gateway.  Posting directly to this
     group is therefore impossible--you have to send mail to the mailing
     list address instead.

`to-list'
     If the group parameter list has an element that looks like
     `(to-list . "some@where.com")', that address will be used when
     doing a `a' in that group.  It is totally ignored when doing a
     followup--except that if it is present in a news group, you'll get
     mail group semantics when doing `f'.

     If you do an `a' command in a mail group and you don't have a
     `to-list' group parameter, one will be added automatically upon
     sending the message.
`broken-reply-to'
     Elements like `(broken-reply-to . t)' signals that `Reply-To'
     headers in this group are to be ignored.  This can be useful if
     you're reading a mailing list group where the listserv has inserted
     `Reply-To' headers that point back to the listserv itself.  This is
     broken behavior.  So there!

`admin-address'
     When unsubscribing from a mailing list you should never send the
     unsubscription notice to the mailing list itself.  Instead, you'd
     send messages to the administrative address.  This parameter
     allows you to put the admin address somewhere convenient.