Re: Should we implement a /etc/profile.d?

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> I think we shouldn't.  Programs should have intelligent defaults.
> This method will bring about many problems with conflicting variables
> and slow startup time.

And what's more don't you have to be careful not to do things like
putting statements in these init files that generate *any* output if
they might get executed by a non-login shell?  Otherwise couln't they
screw up things like rsh.

It sound's like this mechanism could cause a lot of trouble without
many substantial benefits.

--
Rob