Should we implement a /etc/profile.d?

 I think that we should. But we also have to think about this just as a
way to have nice defaults, I mean: We shouldn't worry too much about this.
Modifying login or such utilities for this I think it's a BAD idea.

 I think we should just use the ". /etc/profile.d/*" approach. If somebody
uses a shell that doesn't allow environment variable declaration in a
standard/posic way... then that user is probably somebody that can live
without this feature. I mean: I will be satisfied if it works with bash,
ash, zsh (and probably the other flavours I don't know much about... csh?
ksh? do they declare variables like sh-clones?).

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar