Re: ldconfig warnings

"Adam P. Harris" <apharris@onshore.com> writes:

> I think you're (a bit) unduly alarmed.  From my interpretation, it's
> not a bug to call `ldconfig' from postinst, it just shouldn't be
> necessary.  So why do it if it doesn't have to be done?

You must call ldconfig from the postinst if you install shared
libraries.  This has come up recently several times, and the Debian
policy manual is wrong [1].  We need to change the docs so that people
will stop asking about this.

In my experience, the warnings have come from dangling symlink in the
lib directories.  I'm not sure how they get there.

[1] According to the ldso maintainer.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>