Re: ldconfig warnings

[CC'ing debian-policy]

"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>[I wrote]
>> Yes, it is discussed in the Debian Packaging Manual, section 12.
>> See: /usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/ch-sharedlibs.html

>> You should just go ahead and file bugs against packages which don't
>> include the .so link as part of the package.

> If I understand this correctly, there is no need to use ldconfig in
> the postinst script, correct?

Right from that file listed above:
| If you do the above your package does not need to call ldconfig in its
| maintainer scripts. It is especially important not to call ldconfig in
| the postrm or preinst scripts in the case where the package is being
| upgraded (see Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade,
| section 6.3), as ldconfig will see the temporary names that dpkg uses
| for the files while it is installing them and will make the shared
| library links point to them, just before dpkg continues the
| installation and removes the links!

> ie. A quick survey of the packages on my system:

> $ grep 'ldconfig' /var/lib/dpkg/info/*|wc -l 112

> And I've only got around 400 packages installed (and not too many
> libraries) - so I think we've got a serious problem.  We ought not
> to release 2.0 in this state.
[...]
> Should I file bug reports?  What severity?

> Or am I unduly alarmed?

I think you're (a bit) unduly alarmed.  From my interpretation, it's
not a bug to call `ldconfig' from postinst, it just shouldn't be
necessary.  So why do it if it doesn't have to be done?

It may be a bug if the package doesn't include the .so file in the
actual package as described in the Packaging manual.  However, the
packaging manual says "should" and not "must", although I remember
reading on the Policy list that where it says "should" it really
should say "must".   Nor am I sure whether the Packaging manual
carries the weight of law like the Packaging manual does.

Anyhow, what I would do is certainly file bugs against packages which
seem to create the ldconfig error messages which you originally cited,
since that really is the harmful behavior (confusing, scary messages
during postinst) which really does lower the touchy, feely,
friendly-factor of Debian.